A belt conveyor crown is essential for optimal conveyor belt performance. A conveyor belt without proper crowning will not run as efficiently and will have shorter durability due to the strain placed on the belt’s components.
Essential Factors to Consider
When adjusting a conveyor belt crown there are several factors to consider:
- Belt Width: The wider the belt the more flexibility and surface area for flexing with loads along the conveyor. This will result in a more crowned belt requiring more tension to maintain proper crown.
- Loaded/Empty: When there are items being conveyed along the belt, the weight and cantilever angle of the items will play a role in how much crown is ideal. Loaded belts will require a lesser crown when loads are evenly distributed.
- Speed: The speed of the conveyor will affect the ideal crown adjustment as a faster moving belt requires more tension. A slower moving belt will often require a deeper crown.
- Installation Angle:The angle at which the conveyor belt is installed affects the ideal crown adjustment. Installed at a steeper angle will require greater tension as the load will not be evenly distributed along the belt.
Measuring the Conveyor Crown
The correct crown adjustment for a belt conveyor is best done by measuring the length of the belt across its width to determine the center. The ideal crown should be no more than 1/16 inch difference between the center and the edge closest the drive pulley. If the belt displays shoulders made by the crown when spun between your fingers, the crown is too deep.
Optimizing Crown Adjustment
Once your conveyor belt crown is accurately measured and the optimal parameters are identified, crown adjustment should be optimized in the following ways:
- Adjust both sides of the conveyor evenly to avoid belt lamination
- Adjust the crown according to the distributed weight of the loads
- Modify the speed, tension and/or installation angle to realign the belt
- Carefully monitor the crown and adjust as needed
By correctly adjusting the crown of your belt conveyor, you can ensure optimal conveyor performance and maximum durability for your system.